I'm a big fan of painting tile as a quick fix. We painted our mudroom/kitchen floors and our laundry room floors not long after we moved in almost a year ago and they've held up surprisingly well! Occasionally we'll get a scratch or a ding that's bad enough to warrant pulling out the oil-based paint for a touch up, but that's only happened a couple of times. I used Glidden Porch and Floor paint in gloss for the kitchen and mudroom and I like that one best. I usually just get it color matched.

 photo cIMG_1530.jpg

 photo IMG_1533.jpg

When I fixed up the studio space last month, I decided the bathroom needed a mini overhaul at the same time. I wanted to just dress it up as much as we could for as little as we could. (My favorite kind of project!).


 photo IMG_1543.jpg

The space had lots of ceramic tile that had seen better days by the time we bought the house. It looked pretty dingy. With all my good tile-painting luck under my belt I decided we'd paint the bathroom tiles black!

 photo cIMG_1563.jpg

Heather showered in the girls bathroom for a couple days while we let the shower tile in here really dry out. Then we primed it with my favorite shellac-based tile, which says on the label that it will stick to masonry and tile. We just rolled in on with a mini-roller.

 photo cIMG_1569.jpg

 photo cIMG_1572.jpg

Here's where I wished I hadn't cheaped out. I had a gallon of this flat black rustoleum in the house so we just used that instead of going to get my tried and true Glidden Porch and Floor. I have a feeling that a lot of the problem was this oil-based enamel is a flat sheen, and I think the gloss makes a big difference in durability.

 photo IMG_1591.jpg

 photo IMG_1580.jpg

So far it's holding up beautifully, but I felt more confident about the Glidden for some reason. I'll let you know how it wears, but after maybe a month or two, we haven't had any problems with the paint on the floors or in the shower.

 photo IMG_1594.jpg

 photo IMG_1607.jpg

Stay tuned for the room reveal tomorrow! We did a fun, cheap treatment on the walls to spice it up in here! And we changed the lights, the vanity, the mirror, and the cabinet fronts, all for just a few dollars! :)

 photo IMG_3659.jpg

 photo IMG_3641.jpg
 
Top